Sunday, February 15, 2009

Shake Your Pom Poms


Anyone who knows me at all is aware that I was a high school cheerleader and many years later became a college cheerleading coach. I loved it in HS, but had a much better time working with such amazing talent at the college. In my first season we began with three young ladies – a few years later, there were over 30 cheerleaders and dancers on three different teams. You can imagine my delight when my granddaughter, Kyla, decided to become a cheerleader this year. Of course, I’ve been teaching her since she was born and she spent a good bit of time at my practices (being pampered by the students) and games – maybe that had something to do with her decision. Krista says she’s the last one on the floor, last one off the floor and continually drops her megaphone. Well, she’s only 6! I’m attaching my high school cheerleading picture (notice the very long skirt – strict Baptist High School), a photo of one of my college teams and two of Kyla. Go Swordsmen, Go Bobcats, Go Jumpers! Yeah, yeah, I still have that perky enthusiasm and even now I have some cheers in my head. If I can get rid of them (and some old songs) I’d have room for important stuff.

7 comments:

Chere said...

Being the Mother of a cheerleading for 12 years, I have been there. Cheerleading is a full time job both for the cheerleader and the parent. Have fun Mimi.

dsr524 said...

Kyla looks so cute in the actual cheering photo - espeically with her shoe untied!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

How convenient for Kyla to have a Mimi that can teach her all the moves. She is adorable! From pictures I've seen of your Mom, that would make her 4th generation cuteness!

Anonymous said...

Of course Matt's gonna love this, but the both of you look so much alike and I see it so strongly in your high school photo. Of course, you won't catch him in a cheerleading outfit!

Judyann said...

Great shot of your beautiful grandaughter. How fun to watch them cheer. It's been fun watching Jessica cheer the last few years. What a great sport.

Working Mum said...

I'm so jealous. When I was young (and influenced by American TV) I wanted to be a cheerleader. I even made my own pom poms out of crepe paper. Unfortunately, in the UK we just have Morris Dancing - not quite the same.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mommy PAM,

It is your captain of ypur wonderful college squad. I just wanted everybody to know that not only were you a great coach, but an amazing friend and mom to all of us. I miss you so much and keep teaching Kyla to cheer!!!
Love ya!!
Brooke