Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Special Day

Today is my dad's birthday. He would have been 78 years old, but sadly, he was killed in a freak accident when his truck encountered black ice and flipped on December 10, 2000. I miss him every day and know that my life and my children's will never be the same. We miss his support, good nature and sense of humor. Everyone in the community loved him - there were over 400 people at his funeral and there were so many flower arrangements - over 65 - we delivered them to shut ins and hospitals for three days. That says a lot about how people felt about him. Some days I still feel so completely grief stricken I don't know how we all manage to go on. But mostly, you just get used to it and keep going day to day. I believe with all my heart that he is in Heaven with his wonderful parents and siblings. The good news - he'll be waiting to greet me when I arrive. He's still my hero.

This is one of my favorite pictures of the two of us.

5 comments:

dsr524 said...

All of my life, my daddy has always fixed everything for me. When something needed repair I would always go to my daddy. Just in the last year or two I've seen him "slow" down. I get teary eyed just thinking about him not being here one day. Daddy's and their little girls have a special bond. I'm sure your father would be proud of you and how you support and take care of your kids.

Pam said...

Thanks DSR! Enjoy every minute with your dad while you can!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I too miss my dad every day. He died one month after being diagnosed with lymphoma cancer at age 68. He was a gentle bear of man with a heart the size of Texas. I used to feel him near me, but that feeling has lessened over the years. I know I will see him again some day. Thanks for sharing your story, Pam.

Jamie Payne said...

Yes, there really is a special bond between father and daughter. Every time my dad comes down from Wisconsin for a visit he loves to do stuff around the house for me. I think it makes him feel needed by his 32 year old daughter when I beg him to please please please tile my laundry room floor:) Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story with us!

Anonymous said...

Dad's are the best. I sure do miss mine. Here's to your Dad's Birthday...and to great Daddy's!